Gokulmuthu Narayanaswamy (Gomu) is a devotee of Sri Ramakrishna. Most of his understanding of religious, spiritual and philosophical ideas comes from the tradition Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda. His traditional foundation in Vedanta comes from the tradition of Swami Paramarthanandaji.
He was introduced into spiritual life by Swami Swayambodhananda Saraswati, who is a disciple of Swami Satyananda Saraswati of Bihar School of Yoga. Swami Satyananda Saraswati is a disciple of Swami Sivanda Saraswati of Divine Life Society. Through Swami Swayambodhanandaji, who is also a disciple of Swami Vireshwaranandaji of the Ramakrishna Order, he got introduced to Ramakrishna Math in 1992. He got his mantra diksha from Swami Gahananandaji of the Ramakrishna Order in 1993. He is an active volunteer of Ramakrishna Math at Ulsoor in Bangalore. Swami Paramasukhanandaji, a monk of the Ramakrishna Order, introduced him to Swami Paramarthananda Saraswati of Arsha Vidya Gurukulam. Swami Paramarthanandaji is a disciple of Swami Chinmayananda and Swami Dayananda Saraswati. He has been a student of Vedanta under the guidance of Swami Paramarthanandaji. His knowledge of the Puranas, Itihasas and various Saints comes from listening to Sri Krishna Premi Maharaj.
He was one of the founders of Vivekananda Study Circle in IIT Madras when he studied there. He was the secretary of Samskrita Sangha at IISc Bangalore for two years when he was there. He is a mentor of Vivekananda Study Circle in IISc Bangalore. He was a mentor of Vivekananda Study Circle at IIM Bangalore when it was functioning there. He is a member and mentor of Vivekananda Yuvak Sangha at Ramakrishna Math, Ulsoor, Bangalore. He is a Trustee and trainer of Vivekananda Janoththaana Trust, which conducts Lifeskills Programmes for college students and other youth.
He regularly addresses youth and children on Hinduism, Vedanta, Gita and Vivekananda. He is a regular contributor of book reviews and articles to Vedanta Kesari, the monthly magazine of Sri Ramakrishna Math, published from Chennai. He conducts Personality Development workshops for youth.
He is a Software Engineer by profession and is working as Senior Principal Software Engineer at Itron, Bangalore. He holds a B.Tech in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, M.Sc (Engg) in Computer Science and M.A in Philosophy, Religion and Culture.
Some of the published articles:
- Break Free – Vedanta Kesari, June 2018
- Shanka and Chakra – Vedanta Kesari, Nov 2017
- Four Yogas in Bhagavad Gita – Vedanta Kesari, Aug 2017
- All is One – Vedanta Kesari, Mar 2017
- Swami Vivekananda – The Key Thinker of Modern India – Dialogue, Oct-Dec 2015
- Bhakti According to Bhagavad Gita – Vedanta Kesari, Dec 2015
- Spirituality and Scientific Temperament – Vedanta Kesari, Dec 2014
- Swami Vivekananda’s Call to the Youth of India – Vedanta Kesari, in three parts in Jan-2014, Feb-2014 and Mar-2014
- Gist of Vedanta in Two Words – Vedanta Kesari, Jan 2014
- Attitudes towards Work – Vedanta Kesari, Mar 2013
- What Man Wants – An Elucidation of Indian Culture in the Light of the Four Purusharthas – Vedanta Kesari, Dec 2012
- Monastic Rules for the Layman – Vedanta Kesari, Aug 2012
- Article in e-Symposium titled “Joy of Spiritual Living” – Vedanta Kesari, Dec 2011
- Employability – Is it asking for too much? – The Hindu, Mar 2006
- Aim of Life – Samskriti, 1996
Some of the presented papers, invited talks and keynote addresses:
- Leadership Lessons from Ramayana – IISc, Bangalore, Apr 2018
- Science, Religion and Philosophy – IISc, Bangalore, Jan 2018
- Science, Religion and Philosophy – Dialogues Café, Bangalore, Nov 2017
- Effective Conversations Workshop – Vivekananda Study Circle, IISc, Bangalore, Aug 2016
- Rama: The Ideal – IISc, Bangalore, Apr 2016
- Goal Setting in Life Workshop – IISc, Bangalore, Jan 2016
- Essential Characteristics of Indian Culture in Swami Vivekananda’s Thoughts – Karnataka Sanskrit University, Bangalore, Jul 2015
- Complexity of Hinduism – International Conference on Communal Harmony & Nation Building at Benaras Hindu University, Jun 2015
- Science, Religion and Philosophy – IISc, Bangalore, Jan 2015
- Bhakti According to Bhagavad Gita – Ashirvad Inter-Religious Harmony Movement, Bangalore, Apr 2014.
- Swami Vivekananda’s Way to a Drudgery Free World – International Youth Conference at G.B.Pant Agricultural University, Pantnagar, Jan 2013
- Value of Life – Institute of Business Management and Research, Hubli, Jan 2009
- Tenets of Hinduism – Second edition on Amazon in Jan 2013
- Gita Saram – Essence of the Gita – First edition on Amazon in Apr 2012
- Death – What to do about it – First edition on Amazon in Jan 2012
- Message of the Gita – Small booklet, 4000 copies printed
- Geethayin Seidhi (Tamil) – Small booklet, 3000 copies printed
- Swami Vivekananda’s Message to the Youth of India – Small booklet, 1000 copies printed
- Introduction to Hinduism – Oct 2015
- Letter to the editor – The Hindu, Jan 2013
- US 8862746: Systems and methods for integrating applications on user equipment utilizing special URI control messages (Granted)
- US 9247398: Methods for barging users on a real-time communications network (Granted)
He can be contacted at: